Saturday, July 29, 2017

Book Review: How to be ferociously happy and other essays


Dushka Zapata wraps her life experiences in a steadfast manner in her first book, How to be ferociously happy and other essays. Through her storiesZapata simultaneously cocoons the reader in the warmth of her words and prods them to ponder about their life.
Zapata’s writing is calming. Her sentences are concise and her stories rarely meander away from their core. Each essay leaves room for the reader to breathe, to digest and to contemplate. As a bibliophile, I also appreciate the generous references that she makes to books that have influenced her. It provides room to grow beyond the bounds of her words.
I read this book within a day. Sometimes, I was unable to give myself enough time to fully absorb an essay before moving to the next one. As a result, the reading experience was at times choppy. I wasn’t done contemplating about the previous essay and I was already trying to absorb the next. When I re-read this book, I will read one essay a day. Experience it completely, before consuming the next.

~Rishika Sudhir Dhody

No comments:

Post a Comment